Meatloaf is one of those go-to recipes for me whenever I am stumped at what to cook for dinner. It can sometimes be such a hassle to constantly think of new things to cook that are also healthy and delicious and more importantly that my husband and son will eat without complaint. I prefer turkey to beef meatloaf of course because it is healthier and I am always on the hunt for different ways to make this dish different so it doesn’t seem like I’m cooking the same meatloaf every time. Meatloaf is really easy to make, it basically involves combining all the ingredients, throwing the mixture into a couple loaf pans and shoving them in the oven for about 45 mins..easy right. I make sure that I always have ground turkey or ground chicken in my freezer in case I need to whip up a quick loaf for dinner.
This recipe is one of my favorites, I use Spinach, Almond Milk and Steel Cut Oats as part of the ingredients and the finished product is a big hit with my family, including my four year old, which is saying something. I have shared with you how much of a picky eater he is so when he likes a dish, that is all the validation I need. So with no further ado let me proceed with the recipe for you guys’ enjoyment 🙂
Spinach Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
1/2 Cup Steel Cut Oats
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Original Almond Milk
1 Yellow onion, Diced
1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Salt and Pepper to Taste
3 Cloves Garlic, Grated
1 Large Eggs
1 Pound Ground turkey
1 Teaspoon Oregano
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Teaspoon Paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the oats and almond milk to a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the onions, spinach, Parmesan, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, paprika, garlic and egg. to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the oat mixture and combine.
- Add the turkey and gently fold into the wet mixture. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into a loaf pan or two depending on how much of it you have.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the meat loaf is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve immediately with Garlic Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes
- Leftovers keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.