I’ve mentioned in previous articles that I decided on a healthy and fit lifestyle a while ago and I have also talked about how difficult it was and still continues to be because I can’t overindulge in some of my favorite food anymore like potatoes and bread and cheese..yummy yummy in my tummy. I therefore made it my mission in life to find healthy substitutions for things that I really liked so I can still enjoy them guilt-free. Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite foods and one of those things that I can’t just have a little bit of so I knew that I had to find a healthy way to still enjoy this dish.
I searched high and low and then happened upon a recipe for Mashed Cauliflower on Allrecipes.com. I was skeptical at first because I didn’t see how Cauliflower could taste the same as potatoes and I also wasn’t really a fan of Cauliflower. But, I decided to try it anyway because if there was the slightest chance that I would like it, it would be totally worth it. Well, I loved it! I have since modified the recipe to make it healthier and tastier and this is what I would like to share with you today. I have been able to pass this dish off as Mashed Potatoes on more than one occasion and after they eat it and I tell them it was Cauliflower, they don’t believe me.
So here we go:
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower “Potatoes” Recipe
2 Heads of Fresh Organic Cauliflower
2 Tablespoons of Minced Garlic
2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
3 Tablespoons of Chavrie Goat Cheese
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1 Teaspoon Oregano
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
- Break up the Cauliflower into Florets and place them into steamer pot. If you do not have a steamer pot you can place a colander over a saucepan of water and cover it.
- Bring the steamer to a boil and steam the Cauliflower for about 15 minutes until it is tender.
- While the Cauliflower is steaming, place the EVOO and garlic in a saucepan and saute the garlic until it is fragrant. Remove the pot from the stove and set aside.
- Place some of the steamed Cauliflower into a food processor and add the sauteed garlic and EVOO and blend on high until it is a creamy consistency.
- Add the rest of the Cauliflower and all the Cheeses and the Oregano, Salt and Pepper.
- Blend on high again until combined and creamy.
- Taste to make sure the Salt and Pepper is okay.
- Serve immediately with your favorite gravy.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. Follow me on Instagram: @fitinstilettos and post your Garlic Mashed Cauliflower “Potatoes” dishes 🙂